Friday, November 9, 2012

work week 1: status COMPLETE

After a full 36 hour, 4 DAY work week, I finally made it to my three day weekend....ahhhhh! This whole "working 5 day a week" thing needs to cease, immediately. I can not remember the last time I worked more than three days in a full week or in a row and thank goodness for that, because I'm not sure I could hold out much longer..! LOL;

The week starts with two days of hospital wide/central orientation! As mentioned previously, I am very thankful for the opportunity I have been given to work with such an amazing team! Wednesday started with 4 hours of nursing orientation, followed by the initiation of LIFELINE orientation; and HOLY MOLY...after seeing my orientation packet of all the things I am to learn over the next six weeks, I am officially - VERY, VERY NERVOUS, but wicked (...i know it's a CT thing) excited!

I hemmed my scrubs for the first time by way of scissor and steady hand; so far only a few people have noticed and commented on, what I believe to be, one of the truest signatures of bachelorism!

Thursday started with me asking where I punch in, my attempt at making myself feel extra good by punching in 15 minutes early...AGAIN (and having it documented..LOL), and was delightfully told "oh, don't worry about that, we don't punch in or out here; just show up early all the time and leave whenever you are done"; #BITTERSWEET; 

So far, clinically, I have encountered a wild array of life altering diagnoses.  The cases that this hospital becomes involved with and sees is beyond anything I had ever imagined; and I LOVE IT.  There is also a very sad component to working in an institution like this; for many customers, patient's and families, they believe Johns Hopkins to be the only light at the end of a very dark tunnel and their only hope for medical diagnosis, treatment and LIFE.  However, regardless of the name or institution, healthcare providers work to lessen the anxiety and fear, and attempt to bring healing to where it is needed most! 

Until the next time....!

The scrubs are purple; making us an easy, although respected, target!

My dear mother sent this photo of the wintery mix in CT - makes me miss home more than ever; SNOW, HOT CHOCOLATE, FIRE PLACES, SLEDDING, TUBING, and most of all NO SCHOOOOOL!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bruce! Just came across your blog!! So excited that things are going well for you!!! Hopefully see you in CT around the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JULIE! Nice to hear from you and thanks! So far, I love it... :) I'll be back in CT around the middle to end of December...YAY! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete