Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week #2 UPDATE

hey all; another quick update from the Inner Harbor!

I hope all my NorthEast friends and family survived the 'NorEaster... the citizens of Baltimore truly applaud your ability to survive in such, and I directly quote from one of my co workers, "horrendous and inhumane weather conditions"...i think the wintery mix created more of stir in Baltimore than it did it CT!!!

I still love my job...lol; I spent my last two shifts working the overnight (its been while since I worked a full night shift....#YAWN, #sleepytime, #Iwantmybed, #caffeineisnecessary, but, nevertheless I DID IT and LOVED IT.  Oh, and after a particularly long and intense transport, we jump in the back of the "AMBO" ready to go back to base and the truck was "DEAD"...literally - we needed to have a patient's family member bring their "jumpers" and give us a JOLT; the other nurse and I both brilliantly recommended CPR, EPINEPHRINE 1 mg IE (intra-engine) and ? TCPacing...all at 430AM; you gotta love it!

Despite having worked previous transport jobs, my current role has taken my experience to a whole new level.  These patient's are crazy SICK; everything from 3rd / 4th degree burns s/p house fire in and out of cardiac arrest, G1P0 regular and frequent contractions at 28 weeks requiring constant fetal HR monitoring, bilateral lung transplants with chest and mediastinal tubes with 3 vasopressors and full ventilatory / endotracheal support, facial degloving s/p fall with oro/naso reconstruction, and the list goes on and on...I believe I may have seen more over three days than I have in several years of prior clinical practice.  Despite my urge to jump in and "do", I have, with uhhh...moderate success, had to pull back and simply watch the "flow".  A lot can be learned when you step out of ACTION CIRCLE and survey the entire "scene".

My preceptor is phenomenal; I truly believe this can make or break a new job. She is very smart, comical and most importantly, very CHILL.  What I lack in calm and cool collectivism and sarcasm, is more than made up when we are together!

My orientation has been established to course in the following manner: intra-hospital CCT (critical care transport), ground CCT and Helicopter / Fixed wing CCT.  In between are plenty of days in the NICU, PICU, Cath Lab, OR and simluation lab time.  YEEEHHAAAAAH!

Until next time....

"the book...."

In the back of the mobile ICU with a patient - tubes, wires, lines, etc...everywhere!!! ahhhhh.
One of the non-invasive / invasive monitors and a 3-channel IV Pump (so slick...)

the in house "PURPLE TEAM" taking an IABP s/p CT Sx patient somewhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment